Music/Performing Arts Program
The aim of this program is to impart a love and enthusiasm of music, dance and drama in a non-threatening and fun environment. Your child will leave this school with greater confidence and with musical skills that will last a lifetime.
All children receive a 1 hour classroom music lesson each week. Here they learn to play a variety of instruments during their Primary years. African drums, recorder, ukulele, marimbas, keyboard, guitar and percussion are some of the instruments introduced to children at various levels. By the end of Grade Six, most children should be able to read music and play a variety of instruments. Drama and musical games, dance, singing and percussion work are other activities included in the classroom music program.
In addition, there are opportunities for children to join one of the following performance groups which meet either before school or at lunchtime.
Please note that there is a requirement that any child selected for these performance groups must make a commitment for the duration of the year in attending both rehearsals and performances.
- School Performance Groups Vocal Ensemble are a group of very talented singers from Grades 4-6 who perform regularly throughout the year. Children are selected by audition, rehearse weekly and perform at various community events throughout the year.
- School Orchestra performs most Monday afternoons during afternoon assembly time, as well as performing throughout the year. Any child who learns an instrument either at school or outside of school and who has some experience is eligible to attend.
- “Jamming with the Juniors!” Terms 1 and 2. This is for Grade 1 and 2 children who love to sing/dance with others in an informal group. Rehearsals are every second week during lunchtime.
- “The Super Senior Singers” : Terms 3 and 4.This is for anyone from Grades 3-6 who love to sing! Rehearsals are every second week during lunchtime.
- Private instrumental lessons are available during school time for flute, guitar, piano, violin and advanced recorder. Contact the office for further details.
- Concerts and Performances: Highlights include the Chestnut Festival, Busking and Talent Night, Monbulk Recorder Concert, Music Count Us In-whole school singing event, Vocal Ensemble City Excursion and performance, Musical Soiree Evening, William Angliss Remembering at Christmas Service, CFA Carols on the Mountain performance, Presentation Night, Christmas Music Assembly, as well as opportunities to perform in Grade Assemblies each term.